Whether at a home bar or professional establishment, the master of drinks is always the bartender.
History of Bartending
For almost as long as there have been alcoholic drinks, there have been people who prepare and provide them to others: the bartenders.
Here are some great articles to give you a solid understanding of the history of bartending.
Storify has a History of Bartending – where it all started.
Slideshare has a visual history of bartending.
eHow has a very brief, straightforward history of the artful practice.
Liquor.com has a slideshow of the 9 most important bartenders in history.
AllBartenders.com has a history of bartending and bartenders.
Let us know if you find great historical resources we should include.
Becoming a Bartender
Bartending can be a serious career, or a hobby you practice at home. Training, practice and skill definitely play a part regardless of where you choose to mix your drinks.
Read our own So… you want to be a bartender five-part series.
JasonBran.com gives the do’s and don’ts of becoming a bartender
Home bartending is easier than ever thanks to craft cocktail mixers, according to Eater.com.
Thrillist points out 11 things you don’t understand about being a bartender.
Learn the Basics of Bartending on YouTube, though the sound is a bit off.
Let us know if you find great bartending resources we should include.
Many Inebriati greatly enjoy building and tending their own home bars. For those interested in building, stocking and tending their own, here are some resources.
Build a home bar:
- 50 Elegant Industrial Style Bar Ideas
- Instructables has easy instructions for a basic bar
- Want just a more elaborate bar? Barplan.com charges, but has a large library of plans to choose from and has a tool to resize their designs and estimate costs.
- Seriouseats has bartenders tell what tools are essential for your home bar
- About.com has a solid list of essential tools you’ll need.
Stocking the bar:
- Martha Stewart weighs in on a properly stocked home bar
- ArtofManliness skips the slideshow and gives you the info on stocking the bar
The rest is up to you!
Let us know if you find great resources we should include.